Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
These Thanksgiving side dish recipes from Pittsburgh’s local chefs and restaurants are dangerously delicious!
PHOTOGRAPHS BY ROB LARSON
Recipe by Pastry Chef Leigh Hartmann, Dozen Bake Shop Ingredients Directions
Cranberry Apple Tart
Recipe by Pastry Chef Leigh Hartmann, Dozen Bake Shop
Butternut Squash and Apple Casserole
Recipe by Chef Christian Mayrhofer, McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch white ground pepper
- 2 gala or golden delicious apples
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Cut squash length-wise in half and scoop out seeds and membrane.
- Bake upside down in 350° oven until tender. Scrape out pulp and food process, adding butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- For apple mixture, heat shortening in a skillet and add sliced apples. Sprinkle with sugar and glaze until barely tender. Set aside.
- To assemble, spread apple mixture into a baking dish, top with butternut squash mixture.
- Combine remaining ingredients, from cornflakes to brown sugar, and use as a topping. Bake at 325° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts
Recipe by Chef Tom Dunne, The Common Plea
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (1/8-inch thick) pancetta slices
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and halved
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup balsamic glaze
- 1/2 cup butter
- Blanch sprouts in salted boiling water, and set aside to drain.
- Cook pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove pancetta, and drain on paper towels. Crumble.
- Add sprouts to skillet, and sauté until edges start to brown. Add walnuts and toss with sprouts, continuing to heat through, then add cranberries and remove from heat.
- Place in serving dish, toss with butter. Then add the Parmesan cheese, crumbled pancetta, and drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
Black Tai Cocktail
Recipe from the Omni William Penn Hotel
- 1 ounce Bacardi 8 Aged Rum
- 1/4 ounce Cointreau
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce Amaretto liqueur
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce Chambord liqueur
- Blackberries for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a martini shaker.
- Shake over ice, pour, and garnish with blackberries on a pick.